May 26, 2012

Take a walk on the wild side.









I grew up in large part along the shore of Lake Texoma on the Red River (literally, a stone throw from Oklahoma). Every day, my mother would walk down to the lake in the cool of the morning. It was about a mile-long trek down a dirt road, with a steep hill down to the lake shore. She'd then walk along the shoreline. It was not a car-friendly road (we had a couple of four-wheel-drive trucks when we were in a hurry), so it was almost always very quiet.

I would often walk with her, observing (and discussing) the flora and fauna as we strolled. That was a long time ago, but they are times I will always cherish.

I live in an exurban community now, where cattle grazed just a few short years ago. It's a planned community. 'Seaside-on-the-Prairie', I call it. There is a small lake nearby (a former gravel pit) with a jogging path around it. I've taken to walking around it in the cool of the mornings. The pictures above are from this morning's walk.

What goes around, comes around.

No comments: