Oct 10, 2009

The Following Message...


"Lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- Thomas Paine

In various endeavors in my life, I've invoked this mantra as I've found myself engaged in pointless squabbles and indecisive actions from my compatriots. Lead, and I'll follow. Follow, and I'll lead. Or just get out of the way.

Wrongly, I've invoked this point in my church dealings.

God's command to us, to the Old Covenant Israelites as well as to New Testament Christians, has always been simply, "Follow." But the Israelites wanted a king, and the Christians wanted a priest... someone else to follow, letting that person be concerned with following God. We wanted someone we could see and touch (and stone, too).

We have one command, follow. We have only one option.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Taking this to church with me. It's a heavy truth. Love you.