Dec 27, 2006

The Ring Cycle



This is the ring that my sister, June Ann Summer, gave me on my 21st birthday. It was made by James Avery Craftsmen in Kerrville Texas, back when they were a small operation that only sold through church bookstores. You can actually see the knife blade cuts that were made in the wax master. I've been told that this ring was James Avery's first product.

I've worn this ring for 35 years, and I have lots of stories to tell about it. It once got crushed while moving a Coke machine, but it saved my finger from being crushed (I had the ring repaired). It played a small part in my conversion from being an Episcopalinist to becoming a Christian, too. While shopping at Gabbert's for knock-down furniture in 1978 (Gabbert's was then sort of like IKEA), the sales clerk saw my ring and asked me if I was a Christian. "Well, I'm trying to be" was my reply. The young man said back to me, "I'll be praying for you." I got mad. How dare this fellow PRESUME to pray for me! Who was he to do that?

Well, it was few years later that I realized who he was. He was a Christian. I clearly showed to him that I wasn't ("I'm trying to be one.") yet a Christian. When I came to believe Jesus, and give him my life, I remembered that young man and his prayers for me.

When my sister turned 21, she died. Her death set in motion a chain of events that brought many, many people into a direct relationship with Jesus Christ... including both of my parents, and ultimately me. That motion continues today.

The ring broke last summer, and I had James Avery repair it again. They informed me that it was worn so thin, and had been so fatigued, it probably couldn't be repaired again. They suggested I consider having it replaced. But while the sentimental value was too high for me to simply replace it, it was also too high to risk losing it.




This is the new James Avery Latin Cross ring I got for Christmas. It now takes the place of the ring my sister gave me. It's almost twice as thick as my old ring, and the Cross cut-out is of a much more delicate design (long gone are the rustic marks of craftsmen at James Avery).

It was a gift from my girls, Linden, Anna, and Catherine, and that's what makes it a suitable substitute. It brought tears to my eyes as I beheld it Christmas morning... tears of joy and sorrow intermingled.

That's what Christmas is about. Joy and sorrow intermingled to ultimately become joy fulfilled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it (your new [and old] rings. But I really loved the story about them. It's nice to learn history about a brother-in-law that I did not know before. June Anne; beautiful name.

Nancy Lee