Oct 31, 2004

I'm a Democrat and here's a reason why.

I grew up in the segregated south. I remember segregated water fountains and restrooms. I watched all the racist southern Democrats (Dixiecrats) become Republicans, carrying their hate with them into the GOP.

This is a report from an early voting site in Florida yesterday. Five hour lines. Republican "poll watchers" challenging voters and Democratic modern day "Freedom Riders" successfully defending them, finishing the job that got people shot when I was growing up. Here's a quote from an 80 year old African American gentleman:

“When I first started I wasn’t even allowed to vote. Then, when I did, they was trying to intimidate me. But now I see all these folks here to make sure that my vote counts. This is the first time in my life that I feel like when I cast my vote it’s actually gonna be heard.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The American Center for Voting Rights report is out. From the Executive Summary:

"However, a careful review of the facts shows that in 2004, paid Democrat operatives were far more involved in voter intimidation and suppression efforts than their Republican counterparts. Examples include:

# aid Democrat operatives charged with slashing tires of 25 Republican get-out-the-vote vans in Milwaukee on the morning of Election Day.

# Misleading telephone calls made by Democrat operatives targeting Republican voters in Ohio with the wrong date for the election and faulty polling place information.

# Intimidating and deceiving mailings and telephone calls paid for by the DNC threatening Republican volunteers in Florida with legal action.

# Union-coordinated intimidation and violence campaign targeting Republican campaign offices and volunteers resulting in a broken arm for a GOP volunteer in Florida."

http://tinyurl.com/99yuy

PM Summer said...

Don't be fooled.

The American Center for Voting Rights is simply a false-front for GOP operatives, operating out of a UPS office in Dallas.

http://www.bradblog.com/archives/00001282.htm

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Some GOP Officials' activities on voter supression:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041019/REPOSITORY/410190316/1037/NEWS04